Skip to main content

Southland - I'm back on board


I wrote a couple of times already here and here about Southland and why I thought it was a show that could really go somewhere. The premise, the actors, the footage and the writing all had promise and were believable. I even had conversations at a party recently extolling the excellence in the show. So why haven't I been watching?

I watched the first two episodes and that had been it. While the logistical reasons at the time made sense, my lack of viewership had no excuse beyond laziness. Mrs. Channelup kept asking, "When are we going to watch Southland?" or "When are we going to catch up with this show?" I kept saying "soon," and then putting it off for another week. I would spend time on Thursdays writing about The Office and Parks and Recreation, lose interest in television and go to bed. Another Southland episode missed.

One thing I wrote about the show at the time was its real, gritty feel. The camera work reminded me of the documentary like- Friday Night Lights, the violence and language bordered on the edges of broadcast television acceptability, and the characters were very, very believable. In thinking about it though, I think the characters were what stopped me from coming back. They were so real, and nameless, that I felt no connection. Real life is kind of boring. I didn't tune in because, while I knew the show had so much to give, I didn't particularly care about any of the police officers.

Well tonight I got home from work, had an hour before American Idol and caught up on the third episode (they have aired 5 so far). Let's just say that I am back on board, will catch episodes four and five tonight and tomorrow, and am planning on covering the final two episodes of the season. The connection I was looking for came in episode three as we began to see more from Officers Cooper and Sherman. And while I still needed to look up these guy's names (remember I said about connection?) we began to see the human, flawed side of each. Man was this so important and I feel a bit stupid for jumping off the ride so soon. I didn't give the show enough of a chance and almost missed out. Sigh of relief.

I know this analysis is coming massively late, but watching the third episode just excited me. Southland has the chance to be a legitimately great television program. It is different than almost anything else on television right now because it seems more concerned with being believable than being intriguing or even artistic. But, and this is what many many programs do not get, believability triggers intrigue and art. Making something seem real is perhaps the most difficult thing a television can do. Making it interesting at the same time is nearing perfection. Southland has that mix.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sons of Anarchy - Albification Recap

Season two opens with the gang taking target practice while the rest of Charming goes about its merry business. One of my favorite things about Sons of Anarchy is the dilemma the gang causes in the town (they are its biggest threat and biggest protector) as well as the inner turmoil among many members as they struggle with their day-to-day family and work duties along with maintaining the outlaw life. Click here to continue reading at CinemaBlend .

The Office - Cafe Disco

The Office hasn't been the same since Michael came back. At least that's his claim and it precipitates the inception of the "party room." Who wouldn't love this in their job? A room where they played techno music and everyone raved all day? Scratch that, I would hate it. Michael doesn't have the same connection with the larger staff at Dunder Mifflin as he had with his workforce of three at Michael Scott Paper (Pam and Ryan). He yearns for the same connectivity and tries to achieve it through exxpresso (sic) and house music at annoyingly loud decibels. He turns the old Michael Scott Paper into a meet-and-greet disco type place for office workers to kick back and relax. Unfortunately, no one can take it easy with Michael around. Nor do they want to. It isn't until Michael gives up all hope of the space that the two Kelly's (secretary and customer service) take it over and make it into the party atmosphere Michael dreamed off. I loved how th

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Gang Exploits the Mortgage Crisis

This summer Mrs. Channelup was dying to see "The Nightman Cometh," Its Always Sunny's broadway-esque rendition of the Charlie's season 3 ending play. I balked, but now regret it to some degree. The gang would have probably made a fairly hilarious spectacle. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is like Curb Your Enthusiasm for the young, drunk and stupid crowd. I mean this is the best possible sense. The formula of Ridiculous premise + inane ranting dialogue + actors and actresses that can pull it off = comedy fucking gold. There aren't many funnier shows on television. Consider tonight's season premiere where Dee strives to become a surrogate mother strictly for the cash and residual benefits while the rest of the gang exploits a family foreclosing on their home. Does any other show make so much light of two topics more unfunny? That the gang is too stupid to pull either ploy off makes the show that much better. I always wonder how much of Its Alwa